Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Leg 3

What the heck is this? I did a huge work and enjoyed the leg 3 global challenge. And just when I'm getting close to finish line, the race is closed and I can't view it anymore.

It feels like i've been kicked in the stomach and left lying in the street by sailonline.org. Like, "HAHA, stupid beginner, sail faster next time".

All my great work and calculations, and there's nothing to show of it :(

But yeah, from the leaderboard I can see that I'm 252nd. But there was lots of work left to be done.. I don't know, sorry about my newbie rabling. I'll get me coat now.
The procedure for the race closing was clearly mentioned:

To maintain as great a continuity as possible, while being fair to everyone, each leg after Leg 1 will open for registration as soon as practicable after the previous leg winner's arrival and the new race will commence as close to 48hrs after that finishing time as is possible. For example, if the winner of Leg 2 arrives at the Cape of Good Hope finish at 0300utc then Leg 3 will open for registration as soon as possible (subject to SOLgods and goddesses bunk time!) and Leg 3 will begin racing at or very close to 0300utc +48hrs later.

The registration for each leg will close 24hrs after the leg starts.

Each leg will, subject to server loads, remain open for a few days after the winner arrives to permit as many to complete as possible. For those SYC Members who find legs closing before they finish, do not be too distressed as your position on the Leaderboard at race close will count as your ranking in that leg.
"Sailing is an Art"
Bonjour

Je pense la meme chose beaucoup de
travail et a 8 heures de l'arrivée
plus rien autant abandonner quand tu sais que ton classement sera faussé
alors que tu te bas pour gagner une
place
Bravo au podium et a ceux qui sont arrivés
Pas content du tout c'était pas prévu ... 16 miles de l'arrivée!!! C'est surtout imprévu et frustrant! bye
Dear markus - please don't go! As luck would have it, Leg 3 chose to finish at a time that meant both Leg 4 AND the Round North Island race were due to start within a few hours of each other.

The fact that Leg 3 was closing at 2300utc on Friday was promulgated on the home page and in chat and repeated often as I, for the first time in my SOLing life, was going to be unable to finish. I was unable even to beach myself nicely...

It is a little illogical to keep one Leg open with the next one racing but.. it is SOL's intention to do just this if it is possible as we are all very mindful of the effort put in to long ocean races, and the enjoyment felt when the finish line is crossed.

It is a great pity that this particular coincidence of two race starts within 8 hrs occurred but such is the whimsicality of the Gods I think!! Gods in this case being Neptune, Aeolus and others NOT SOL gods hehehe

I too feel the sense of being cheated in some way... I have always finished races, and am nearly always way back in the field, so you have my personal sympathy.

Please do stay racing on SOL!!!
It is an old truism, much derided nowadays as complete nonsense, that "It isn't whether you win or lose, it's how well you play the game."
But it IS a game. It's not warfare, it's not greed, it's not money----it's all purely in your own head......It's a GAME!!!
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Thank you Doctor!!! A game a game!!! Il fallait nous le dire lol Avec les joies et les tristesses...

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Flight of the Godwit - Hegura to Anchorage 2024

Welcome to the second flight of our bar-tailed Godwit!. This race is the second of three legs reflecting the bird's annual migratory route, and simultaneously the fifth leg of the 2024 Ocean Race Championship. The voyage promises to be not only a test of skill and strategy but an immersive experience in the beauty of the archipelagos of the Aleutian Islands. Join us as we push the boundaries of seafaring prowess on this epic adventure. Let's fly like a godwit!
PRIZE: SMPF
Race #1791
INFOby brainaid.de
Maxi Trimaran PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: OCQ2 - GWT - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: May 06th 11:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 2 - Great Sandy Stait

Get ready for another spectacular day on the water with the second and final race of our thrilling series! This time, the challenge extends to an ambitious 21-nautical-mile course through the scenic Great Sandy Strait of Australia. After a joyful post-race BBQ, our daring sailors will once again take the helm of their Seascape 18s! Expect more high-speed action, strategic sailing, and, of course, another fantastic BBQ to celebrate the end of this exciting series!
Race #1802
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 21:30 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Bay to Bay 2024 - Leg 1 - Great Sandy Strait

Prepare for an adrenaline-packed race as the pristine waters of the Great Sandy Strait beckon for a thrilling showdown! This first race of our two-race series stretches over an amazing 16-nautical-mile course, with our skilled sailors at the helm of their Seascape 18s. With fierce competition and a fantastic post-race BBQ awaiting our sailors at the finish line, what more could we ask for?! Brace yourself for a fascinating adventure and we look forward to seeing you at the start line!
Race #1801
INFO from brainaid.de
Seascape 18 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: B2B - SYC
Race starts: May 04th 01:00 Registration will open soon
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
May 5 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member BRENTGRAY
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client