Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Real Life Sailing and SOL

Never had I sailed so well as in the last Auckland Regional 3 race.
I was there with the big boys, side by side with Jepsom, Winston, Theviking and many others. At one point I was even in 1st place in the leader board. Exciting.

My crew was performing flawlessly as always. Here on SOL we all have the best crew ever, the weak link is always on the navigator.

I have to admit that it was an easy race to navigate. By help of Mother Nature most of the rhumb lines were at max speed. All we had to do was sailed at the TWA that gave max Boat Speed. Easy.

Max speed TWA to Little Barrier Island, to Channel Island 1 and to the Gannet Rock.
Fantastic, side by side with Winston. Theviking a tiny bit ahead, we all zooming with the kite up.

Them it came the final leg. Upwind leg. Again I made the right decision to go right since I knew the wind would be shifting right at some point. No brainer, everyone in the leading pack went right. Perfect, or so I thought.

Them one of my crew said, captain there is an island in the way, what you want us to do, pass south or go north? The Rakino Island was in our way. Oh Boy!
Big decision, tack south of the island or delay the tack and go north?
The wind was shifting fast but was it shifting as fast to go south and still make it the channel without an extra tack?

Big decision. The only real decision to make in the race.

This whole race, all 18 hours of it came down to ONE decision. ONE!
And I got it wrong. I went North.
Hew565 and Winston (as always) got it right and tacked early to pass south of the island.
I went from podium to 30+.

My point is, 18 hours of perfect sailing, perfect crew work, perfect gybes. All spoiled by ONE bad decision of the Navigator. Me.
If this was a real life boat I would not know how to face my bowman, my skipper, the grinders and everyone else in the crew.

ONE bad call spoiled the smile of a whole group of good guys. Who worked hard for almost a day nonstop. I was well awake, I can’t blame sleep.

The interesting point here is about SOL.
I’ve made many wrong tactical decisions on my years of sailing but never was it as crystal clear as is in SOL where the bad decision happened.
I’ve spent countless hours sitting on bars after each race going thru the mistakes. We blame the sail makers, the crew (of course), the bottom paint, you name it. The most blamed of all was always the boat designer which happened to be me (most of the times).

The truth is now clear, it was most likely due to a tactical error at some point during the race(s). The navigator. (Most of the cases where my job, so I am not blaming anyone else but me. Usually in those days the boat designer ended up being the navigator as well.

I wish I had SOL when I was starting sailing.
Evidently in real life we don’t have wind arrows floating on the ocean, or a sliding scale to see exactly what the wind will do in the near future. But, if you sail regularly in the same location you will, with time learn the wind pattern of the place. I did.
The question is, once you know well your sailing grounds what to do with the information. I never did know. I never act with all the information I knew. I never took advantage of being the “local guy”. I didn’t have SOL.

Some people are fortunate to have talent and “get it” without needing an explanation or some literature to learn from. Those are the super stars of Sailing.

For everyone else, SOL is precious.
So, if you are young, still with a long way ahead of real sailing take advantage of lessons we learn here and apply them in real life sailing.

Finally, I would like to hear stories of you who felt that the real sailing results have improved because of SOL. Please post here in this tread.

Thanks,
Antonio
My story is a little (well, massively!) different....
In the real world I sail a little junk rigged cruiser named Yuan Hang - my SOL name. I have no particular interest in racing, I just go out for a relaxing time.
Although I'm the wrong side of 50 years old, I'm a relative newcomer to sailing, I've had my own boat for about 2 years and sailed for a year before that. I only took up sailing after my body decided it was too old for climbing!
I think SOL has already taught me a lot, watching for weather patterns and planning routes days ahead for instance.
Hopefully it will help improve my sailing!
I still don't think I'll be entering any real races, but you never know.....
I can see SOL keeping me busy through the winter.

--- Last Edited by Ken Powell at 2010-09-17 17:48:25 ---
This i one of the reasons for my blog. It's a personal debriefing, a good way to summarize and pin point things that went wrong and could have been done differently. We used to do this a lot after each real race back when I was racing, also personal things like crew work were analyzed of course. In SOL there is also another issue, time. Most of my own really stupid things is traced back to time issues. Things are forgotten under time pressure. Still it's a fantastic way to keep your head going..:)
Not all of my races will be published on the blog for the simple reason that it was obvious what happened or went really bad.If I can't sail the whole race at least at 75% capacity there is not much to debrief.

--- Last Edited by SWE54 at 2010-09-18 08:22:51 ---

--- Last Edited by SWE54 at 2010-09-18 08:23:19 ---

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client