Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Great circle-explanation please?

Hi

I´m not the best it-guru and I don´t understand all this about the Great Circle. So, can someone please explain way this happens. If you steer 270 degree west and then turn back, vs. rate, east 90 degrees. Why don´t you come back to the point from where you started?
The great circle is the shortest line between 2 points on the globe. (tip: play with a thread and 2 needles on an orange). This means that the course along a GC typically changes along the path. The courses in your examples are the courses to set at the turning points. Along the rest of the paths, the courses are different. Hence, your question is a little oddly put since you seem to refer to a loxodrome when you state that you steer a certain constant course. Tip 2: Zoom out a lot and play with the measuring tool and you will likely see what I mean.
...one of the guys behind the game...
I hope that you do not think my question was a critical one...
And My Q was not "little oddly" :)))
I am a single Coca-Cola Salesman and no academics. So thats why I ask for things that I do not understand. I understand that it is the most direct route between two points on the globe, but became confused when I measured as in the example. Now you have explained and I have done my homework so that I will be more toxic than in the future;))
If you wonder about the difference between Coke Zero and Coke light, I will be the first to tell you ...;))

Thank! :)
"Oddly little" the whole question is by being not able to open attachments in question.

It's fun though to put a face to Jepsom :)

Nice example of how the GC tool in SOL measures angles! Slightly unexpected, but no straight lines on this orange... Try it with CC.

We used to have a coke C2 that had 1/2 sugar but also artificial sweeteners... Maybe our resident guru can explain why they don't make it with 1/2 sugar but no compensatory chemicals for those of us who might like such a thing mixed with rum? ;)

--- Last Edited by 76Trombones at 2010-05-09 01:29:47 ---
No problem Jepsom. These questions are very good in several ways. They makes us reflect on how the user interface works, how clear the manual is etc... Also, if you have such a question I bet there are 100 others wondering the same thing :-)

My only Coke-question is: Can I get the recipe please?

/Jakob
...one of the guys behind the game...
Well...

First, 76: I will forward your question to the main office. While you wait for an answer, you may drink only Rome ... if you doubt the content ..;)

And Jakob: It´s all about money I think.. :)

Ps. It´s fun to put a face to 76trombone as well... I do understand you wife... ;) Ds.

/Jesper

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Kamchatsky to Tromsoe 2024

Just before the light failed entirely in Antarctica, Skip Novak managed to get his Pelagic 77 out of the ice and north up the Pacific to Kamchatsky. The sun is shining (24/7) and not a penguin to be seen, and Skip believes the Norh East Passage is ice-free (sufficiently) to attempt it, so all aboard for a c 4250nm voyage from east to west across the top of Siberia, Russia and Norway to Tromsoe!
Race #1779
INFOby brainaid.de
Pelagic 77 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: HLAT - SYC
Race starts: Jul 18th 19:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cowes to St Malo TIMED Race 2024

Organized by the Royal Ocean Racing Club since 1929, the Cowes to St Malo Race is a true RORC Classic. Starting from the Royal Yacht Squadron Line, Cowes, IOW, a magnificent spectacle can be watched from The Parade, Cowes. The Cowes to St Malo Race is part of the RORC Season’s Points Championship, the world’s largest offshore racing series. Dating back to 1906, the Cowes to St Malo Race precedes all of the world’s famous races including the Fastnet Race. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1828
INFOby brainaid.de
TP-52 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ3 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 July at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Jul 14th 12:00 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Lake Ontario 300 Challenge 2024

Lake Ontario Offshore Racing (LOOR) welcomes Sailonline to a second race of their annual series, this time as hosts of the virtual LO300. As the name implies, the LO300 is a 300nm offshore race across the length and breadth of Lake Ontario, from and back to Port Credit YC. Once again, as is our wont on Lake Ontario, a fleet of Beneteau First 36.7s is being made available to virtual racers. There is an overall prize for the SOLer who best bosses Lake Ontario over the two races hosted on SOL, this 300 and the Susan Hood raced back in May; so let the competition be fierce!
Race #1805
INFOby brainaid.de
First 36.7 PARTICULARS
NAM_AWIP WX Updates:
0245 / 0845 / 1445 / 2045
Ranking: LOOR - SYC
Race starts: Jul 13th 15:10 Registration Open!

▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

SSANZ Triple Series 2024 - Race 1

Welcome once again to our online buddied Short-handed Sailing Association of New Zealand brilliant long-standing SSANZ Triple Series for two-handed yachts on the waters of the Hauraki Gulf, sponsored this year by Lewmar Marine. Commencing with a c 46nm quick dash out to Motuora Island via The Haystack and home, we will as always compete in virtual Young88s, against the real-life fleet of the members of the ever-Young 88 Association!!
Race #1823
INFO by brainaid.de
Young 88 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SSANZ - SYC
Race starts: Jul 12th 21:15 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Tall Ships Races 2024 - Tallinn to Turku

Welcome to the second of three virtual Tall Ships Races on the Baltic Sea which are concurrently being organized in-real-life Sail Training International . This second race is from Tallinn, Estonia to Turku, Finland; circa 150nm in Sailonline’s stately Full Rigger.
NOTE: Starts and Finishes in tall ships racing are always offshore to avoid conflict with shipping and shipping lanes.
Race #1812
INFO by brainaid.de
Full Rigger PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: TS - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Friday,
July 19 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Jul 11th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Southampton to Punta del Este 2024

Sailonline is delighted to offer our sailors a 'reversed' Atlantic ocean race. As the RTW championship Atlantic part takes a detour to the Bahamas, we will offer you a reversed course as we will not do the 'usual' leg this year either. It is the July edition of this year's Ocean Championship. Our boat is the OD_65v3.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1820
INFO from brainaid.de
OD65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ3 - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Jul 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member TarassBoulba
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Flamingo
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client