Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Global Challenge downtime - how to cope with server outages

Page: 1 2 Next

Hi all,

As a result of DNS problems sol was down for some time. This always sparks a debate on how to deal wit it, lets see what the views are and come up with a couple of scenario's.

We might be able to implement some standard rules from this so that we have fixed guidelines on how to deal with a situation depending on the time it lasted for example. Keep in mind that the type of race that is affected plays a big part in this as well.

In this case a few where able to access the servers during downtime by using a workaround that they implied or still had after a earlier problem.

Looking forward to read your feedback on this.

I am a ex-admin of SOL who joins in from time to time.
We might be able to apply some sort of redress where boats are awarded time if they were delayed due to server outage. One way to review this would be to run a router of optimum route vs actual to evaluate time lost.

Not sure how to do this quickly for the whole fleet. To go through each boat would be time consuming as well as open to argument.
The situation of the race obviously makes a big difference. Today's outage didn't affect me much as I had dcs set all day. One of the last outages I bbq'd and lost time.

That is why I think review and redress might work.
Ciao my friends ;)

I have read the debate in chat , and this is my view :

Lou is right in saying that the Community should know what the rules are in case of internet of server downtime .

I think that Lou has not been affected in this particular case , but that is not dismissing the sentence above.

I am confident that in the not distant future we will have a system in place....my idea is the following :

Group of three judges , trusted by the community .....if a racer believes he/she has been damaged during a race by ANYTHING appeals to the let's call it Race Committee, who will decide based on two out of three votes , and the relevant decision will be published, substantiated and applied .

The good thing about the above idea is that we would work towards seamingless with reality .

IMO in case of failure of contact with still running boat , in open waters , and without massive changes in WX across an update , the impact on racing should be considered very minimal and within limits of acceptability .

As I said , I am confident that we will get there .

Ciao ALL ;)
A number of options came by in the initial chat, repeating them here:
# rollback, reverse the race to the point of outage.
# block all racing for the duration of problems. Addressing the possible split in technical level, problem solving.
# accept this as part of "normal" racing and asses the impact on a individual race level.
I am a ex-admin of SOL who joins in from time to time.
IMO #1 and #2 are not the answer , as we can neither stop , nor rewind the WX , and stopping the racing as if server would halt , would change the complete pic for the remaining 7 days , given different WX on each single moment of remaining sailing ....so ....

#3 is the only way ...assess impact on race if any boats demonstrates to have been highly damaged..... is where my idea above fits ....;)

as to minor damages that can anytime affect anyone we must live with the fact that SOL is internet constrained , as sailing is constrained by unpredictable external factors.

ciao
sorry ...the above comment is from me ...WIN ..;)

ciao
IMO it should be made crystal-clear to all in conjunction with registration that the present technology is not faultproof and that outages (short or long) may occur. There is NO failsafe version of IRL-sailing either. Question: is there a way to disable WA or to block access via "cleverness" during the time that SOL is inoperative?
I must say that my mindset during the DNS problem was not trying to block web access from everyone so that all boats would be treated equally but just the opposite, try to get as many people the ability to access the server.

As for the DNS problem itself. It first manifested by some people not being to access the server, this is because the DNS information is stored to individual DNS servers around the world for each persons internet provider. So how each person was affected depended on when the internet provider server happened to refresh it's data and it's also dependent on the server settings that DNS server happened to have. There is no way of knowing how long the downtime was for each person.

As the admin point of view, my mindset is usually trying to solve the issue as fast as possible. Usually the reason is also initially unclear so you don't really know what are the actions needed to to be "fair" to all users.

Also delayed commands and weather updates were executed during this outage in normal way, so in case you happened to be away and relying on them you were not affected in any way.

In my view the only way to do this is the way Winston suggested, that we'll have an independent race committee which you can request redress from.

As the technical administrator, I would myself like to keep my mind on the technical matters. Of course I will try my best to do the actions which are the most fair to everyone when there is an issue but the technical solution is usually my first concern.

If we choose to have the race committee, I can give the race committee my estimation how each boat was affected by the issue (list of dc's issued, network outages etc). However, as the administration is mostly done on voluntary basis, I must say that too complicated redress handling might increase the administrator's workload quite a bit. Currently there is no ability on the sailonline.org server to give redress to anyone, but it can be probably be added if needed.
Hi all,
First off all sorry for making such an argument this morning for something that didn't realy influenced my race, but on other occasions it was, and a lot of boats lost a lot during the server problems.
Is it not possible in case of losing the server to freeze completly the race, all boats remain in the same position and the weather system is also freezed, so until there nobody is dammaged. Then when technical problems are solved, reorganise a start, everybody remains in his position, SOL makes an announcement on the homepage for the restart date and hour, then go on racing without updating the weather, this means using the gribs of the past, so everybody can keep to his plans, If this happens in the first 24 hours of a race i would suggest a complete restart.
I think that Winstons idea is a good one, but a very difficult one that could lead to more arguments.
Still think that it's important to find a solution, as soon as possible, we are underway, some did spend a lot of time on this race and then it can be really frustrating, if that is the case, seeing your race ruined by technical problems.
Ciao, Lou

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client