Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » Mark rounding

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Yes it has reared its ugly head again.
Can someone please give us a clarification of Petrm's rounding of Muckle Flugga mark. The rules clearly say that you must follow the arrow, which must mean no doubling back .. right or wrong!!! the diagram in the rule book says it is illegal

--- Last Edited by KiaKaha at 2011-07-16 13:07:33 ---

--- Last Edited by KiaKaha at 2011-07-16 14:08:44 ---
I agree with you . The new rules for rounding that have been created and enforced since about one year ago should have returned to Petr a " not rounded " as soon as he crossed back the line extending from the waypoint , and his distance from finish should have started to increase rather than decrease.

It is the second time in recent weeks that the rounding rule re-inforcement by the server fails to trigger , and I wonder if something that was in place before slipped through the recent upgrades to the game ..... it will be very easy for our SOL engineers to rectify though ....and this is why I commented to your point : to double up your effort to attract attention to this fault.

Ciao

WIN ;)
The new rules for rounding that have been created and enforced since about one year ago should have returned to Petr a " not rounded " as soon as he crossed back the line extending from the waypoint , and his distance from finish should have started to increase rather than decrease.

Yes - it's apparent that we've lost the chunk of coded that fixed this issue. In-and-out has been permitted in a few races now. It still not possible to round the wrong way (have been some spectacular examples recently!), so it's a bit confused at present.

I hope everyone understands that the gears at SOL started turning the moment it became obvious that the glitch still exists. The inner works are being cracked open as we type.

As far as any protests etc go, I'm happy to sit as volunteer committee and hear arguments, but from my reading of the rules the rounding is unassailable.

PDF Manual_rev5_1

"Rule" 4.2 The Course, Rounding Buoys and the Finish

The relevant diagram shows three roundings, only one of which is labeled "illegal". The rounding in question clearly followed the green path and then backtracked, on which the text has nothing to say.

The text then goes on to say: You can be sure you have correctly passed a waypoint as it will show “rounded” on the race screen.

The rounding was explicitly correct as the conditions specified were met.

HTML Manual

"Rule" 1.5 Marks must be rounded in the direction indicated by the arrows in the client. This rule is enforced automatically by the server.

This condition was met. The mark was "rounded" in the correct direction, but subsequently unrounded. The rule was enforced automatically.

Protests, DSQ, redress etc must follow the rules as written and implemented, in SOL as in IRL.

None of this is saying that the rounding would have been allowed IRL, or that this isn't #1 priority to correct. The change to the rounding rules that originally eliminated this problem was almost universally applauded. It made things much more clear, reflected IRL practice and made the job of setting courses much easier. As soon as SOL can track down the correct chunk of code and it's safe/appropriate to do so (not mid-race) the fix will be applied.

The rules as correctly implemented worked as IRL, and as follows:

Our finish line still does not conform to IRL, in that it can be crossed from either side.

--------------

A side project that should come out of this: the manual is not a rule book. SOL should have accurate and unambiguous rules defined in a separate document. We don't have very many rules, but writing this type of thing is surprisingly hard to do correctly. I invite any interested parties to contribute to this effort.

76T
Attachments
if acceptable,as a past National exec. of a class in RSA, as well as an active competive sailor for a number of years, I am happy (in semi retirement) to offer my bit. Lattitude/time diff. may make this difficult - even with Skype etc.
However, the growth & sustainability of SOL deserves a bit of effort from me & all who enjoy this facility, imho
call me anytime

Kind regards
Ray
As I said earlier in the chat:

"I am apologize for die hard sailors, but my move was within rules of SOL."

"From manual and game behavior:
I have a understanding, that rounding rule is when accessing mark. So when mark is marked as rounded, you can deal with next mark."

Hope my move, which was forced by defending position within SOL rules, will help to advance SOL rule closer IRL rules. So people who never sailed race, as me, can be educated about IRL sailing racing rules.

Thanks to All who tried to understand SOL rules and published their opinion that my move was legal.

Thanks to bushing All others.

Have a great time IRL.
PetrM
76T,
I dont know how you can say that the Petrm followed the green line in the diagram.If the green line was followed he would have come to the mark on stb and left it on stb therefore following the arrow. The pink line which says is illegal is the one he followed which comes to the mark and turns and goes back the way he came. If you cant see this you must be looking at a different picture.You also say that the manual is not a rule book, which maybe its not, but it does say the word " illegal" in there so it must not be able to be done!! Also as Kalle said, at a mark rounding you must follow the direction of the arrow, again this was not done.
please accept this as POSITIVE contribution , specially for good Petr who has to understand why we are at this stage .

76T please , allow me to explain without reference to all those different examples , that are perfect , but may be too much for the non experienced in IRL sailing .

Petr ....this is the full story :

up to about one year ago what you did was quite commonly done by many in SOL , although non corresponding to IRL regulations , but just permitted by the server , as once that line from the mark was passed , from there one could do what he liked , and the server would continue to consider that boat as "rounded ".

One night , when a boat called Incognito did it again , there was a riot , and the solgods intervened , enforcing that a mark MUST be passed ( or "left" as the correct terminology is ) keeping the boat at the same side of the mark all the way through the rounding .....In simpler terms the mark must be contained INSIDE the whole track of the boats race .

Solport found a coding way of enforcing this , and the manual was amended . From that moment if a boat was doing what you have done , the passing back of that line from the mark was triggering the mark to become "not rounded " , so to enforce the practice.

Very recently something happened with the sol programme itself , whereby the coding part we are talking about have been lost ...I am sure that it will be found and reinstated as soon as possible .

In the meantime anything that is allowed by the server is NOT illegal ......but trust me .....passing the mark and coming back is NOT passing a mark ...it is bouncing against a wall ...and that is NOT sail racing ( only videogame ).

hope clear for those who were not with us one year ago , and hope the correct system will be reinstated asap.
;)
ciao
my fondest apologies ....

did not realize that I was logged in as sol

the previous post is mine ...WIN....;)

PS : posting as sol ....was it not precluded ????????

ciao
please accept this as POSITIVE contribution , specially for good Petr who has to understand why we are at this stage .

Petr ....this is the full story :
WIN,

You can be sure that Petr is very much aware of everything you wrote about. He has been active here since January 2009 and has participated in well over 130 races. And you can also be sure he knew exactly what he was doing.

Cheers,
Philip

Philip

you are perfectly right ....Petr is with us since end of 2008 actually ...the information is on this very page .......

Perhaps my contribution was for those who were'nt and may not understand this subject.

I still believe that sol should go back to previous situation whereby correct rounding was reinforced by server , to go back to sail racing simulation.

Ciao

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

The Beagle in the Straits of Magellan 2024

Both before and after visiting the Falkland Islands, the Beagle extensively explored the south eastern coast of South America, hither and thither, from north of the Rio Plate to the tip of Tierra del Fuego, but it was not till the end of June 1834 that the ship made it into the Pacific Ocean, transiting via the Straits of Magellan. Online in 2024, the choice is yours - passage the strait or round the cape; 400nm or more in your Class B Tall Ship.
Race #1753
INFOby brainaid.de
Tall Ship Class B PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SVF - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Sunday,
April 21 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 09th 13:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member wsguerin
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client