Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » General Discussion » TEAMWORK AND CHAT BEHAVIOUR IN SOL TODAY

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Teaming up, as an occasional teaching /coaching exercise...no problem. However, as a regular fixture, especially if successful, then it can't but help alter the character of the game.Did the Italian team think of that? Probably not. I can't blame them in any way as I didn't foresee the problem until it happened.
I'm going to wait and see what develops. Nothing may come of this. Take the example of the Pigs, who were very much together on the "Ron Cazar", but were all over the place in "Iberia 4"...
The advantage of a team, and a formidable one it is too, is that it can be kept going 24/7. We all recognise the need for sleep and the effects of fatigue on judgement.We also imagine the meeting of minds, leading to a consensus on a brilliant and unbeatable strategy, against which the lone individual has little chance.
However there is perhaps another side to that intimidating scenario.
It probably takes quite a bit of organisation and communication to keep a team together. Disagreements and personality clashes are almost inevitable. Then there's the pressure of not letting the side down.There are downsides to being in a team, as there can be with boatsitting(saw that on VORG, "Idiot, I said steer 315, not 135" ).
I wouldn't be in a hurry to quit and I hope Schakel reconsiders. At the time, I felt much the same as him. But a few days on, my feeling is, that this will fizzle out unless others respond by forming teams..... which I shall not be joining.If you want teams, form one or join one(keeping in mind the disadvantages). Perhaps you might even consider being so kind as to inform your fellow competitors of the formation of this team, prior to the race, just for the sake of good manners, if nothing else. Those that don't inform their fellow racers will be seen as ruthless and disrespectful and consequently may not receive quite the same degree of approbation and respect as the high-placed racers currently enjoy.Of course, there we go again, imagining the worst...that they are successful. Things could go the other way. The teams may not be successful in which case no-one will give a......1/100Euro.
If you don't like the idea of teams in the game, like me, don't join one.Simple. No need for any unpleasantness. Actions will speak louder than words on this matter.
Hello all.
in the christmas to christmas have two Pig's leading and two more Pig's in the top ten.
they have the same track because had the same weather, but..what strange if the better performance was that ??
(if check better many SOLers have the same track)
My best
Ciao ciao
I need to add:
the PIGs are a very strong team, my full respect. I personally enjoy chase and fight with them, and...
I will get them one day!! GRRRHHH
signed
Zeke Wolf

(Gilles)
I agree with Eddies statement about beatting all 4 boats......:) My thoughts exactly!!

Now if anyone needs a southern hemisphere skipper to do the Barcelona World Race I would be more than happy to team up.
Apologies, that previous posting under 'sol' was me, was checking out a race and forgot I was logged in as 'sol' when I posted...

[EDIT:] Damn I did it again! oops LOL - This is AGage.

IMHO, quoting ISAF rules allowing 'unsolicited assistance' is irrelevant. That rule is mostly in there for safety purposes, and it is also stated in that rule that (only) help in the form of information may be provided, nowhere does it mention control of the vessel - and this only from a 'disinterested party', which team members cannot be so considered. Neither is such help unsolicited, but rather admitted to being organized. Clearly controlling team members' boats in this way does constitue an advantage, as I said previously, it seems to me the boatsitting rule in SOL was so a friend could legally get you off the beach or change your course if you went to work forgetting a DC or something, not to plot the best course for that boat...
Again: perhaps the definition of 'boat-sitting' needs clarification in the rules?

I think the decision to create a single team boat is the fairest thing in terms of ranking, and as also mentioned by someone previously - sailing as a team would present some logistical and personal issues (just imagine 4 skippers and no crew on 1 boat! lol)

Creating teams that share strategies and information can be nothing but good for SOL, as it should increase the level of competition, I just think that team members actually controlling the boats of others (in shifts or however it is organized) is taking things 1 step too far...

That said I don't beleive those involved in forming the team(s?) had any intention of cheating or gaining unfair advantage in doing so... Like brainaid (and others) applying their own software to SOL races, it seems a matter of 'we can, so why not?'...

--- Last Edited by sol at 2010-12-16 04:34:38 ---
Apologies - oops
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
noproblemswhatsoever AGage! and no need for apologies.

I think WIN has perfectly explained our future behaviour. We will race independently (with some occasional boatsitting) and we will be sailing a teamboat only on ocean races starting next year.

I believe this closes the issue

--- Last Edited by ita10267 at 2010-12-16 09:05:09 ---
Its good that those on this site can so quickly and nicely come to a compromise/agreement... Some places this would start all sorts of flame wars and BS (not boatspeed ;-) )... Perhaps that also reflects on the sport of Sailing itself aswell?

Anyway, like I said I think forming teams to discuss strategy is actually a good idea, pity I dont actually know anyone else who SOLs otherwise I would do so to...
I help develop the client interface for the best online ocean racing sim there is... __/)/)_/)__
After anticipating it in this thread we are glad to announce that today we launched the new boat of our sindicate Team Italia . Its name is ITA_2011 and its maiden race will be the First leg of the RTW ( Barcelona 31st December )

We have given ourselves 3 simple rules , following the indications gathered from the thread :

1) ITA_2011 will race only in races that have one or more of the following characteristics :

A-longer than 999 NMs
B-Classified as OCEAN
C-Classified as SERIES

2) When ITA_2011 is in the race our historical boats will be registered for chat purposes only but will DNS

3) If one skipper wants/needs to race with his boat he will be totally alone , except for occasional conventional boatsitting if and when needed .

We hope this challenge will stimulate other Solers to Team up and seek exciting new adventures ......to boldly go where no solboat has gone before ....;)

ciao
well well well I m a bit late on this post lollllll but had lunch with win 2day who told me about it!!!!
So all I can say is that I do support 100% my italian friends !!!!! being in the team is accepting to share different point of view and trust the others to! for my part (pig team) all i can say is that we stay very individual but sharing hudge discussions regarding a race help you a lot to progress and to be able to trust someone in boatsitting to!
now there is not 100 way to win ( or being in the top 5) the only way is to found the right road at the right time lolllllllllllllll
bacio to my italian friends
MO-PAYEPAYE-Pig kathleen

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
April 24 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client