Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Races » OCEAN RACES - which shall SOL sail

Page: 1 2 Next

In another thread StuArt has proposed that SOL sails the Barcelona World Race (starting New Years Eve). This would be fabulous.

HOWEVER.. at the moment there are several races waiting in the wings (listed below).

SOL is nothing if not flexible, so please would all keen ocean racing SOLers let us know which races over the next months would be preferred. All is up for grabs OK? Races already set up can be archived for future use - nothing gets lost.

It is important that we offer the races you all want so please... speak out here!!

-----------------------------
List of programmed Ocean Races

5 October 2010 - ?24 October
Cape Town to Buenos Aires
3700nm / Maxi 100

1 November 2010 - ?22 November
Ron Cazar (St Malo to Guadeloupe)
3510nm / Class 40

26 November 2010 - ?26 December Earths Oceans Kiwi Double (EOKD) Leg 1 - La Rochelle to Cape Town
7500nm / Imoca 60

6 January 2011 - ?10 February 2011 EOKD Leg 2 - Cape Town to Wellington 7000nm / Imoca 60
(while in NZ in Feb we sail the Round N Island Race - hence the"Kiwi" part of this series' name}.

9 April 2011 - ?7 May 2011
EOKD Leg 3 - Wellington to Salvador 7400nm / Imoca 60

14 May 2011 - ?1 June 2011 - EOKD Leg 4
Salvador to Charleston
4000nm / Imoca 60

25 June 2011 - 10 July 2011
EOKD Leg 5 - Charleston to La Rochelle
3600nm / Imoca 60
-----------------------------
In addition there are the following races to pick from:

- two proposals (Maui to Petropavlovsk Kamchatskiy, Christmas Island, Pacific Ocean to Christmas Island, Indian Ocean) which have been designed but are waiting for a weathersystem bug to be fixed

- the ideas for Trade Route/Slave Route races that have been mooted in the Race Proposals Forum)

- SOL's archive of ocean courses already sailed

- other ocean races that may be "out there" in the public domain

:-)

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2010-09-24 17:53:47 ---
- the ideas for Trade Route/Slave Route races that have been mooted in the Race Proposals Forum)

Big no no in my humble opinion a very black part of the history,
forget about that, lets take a clipper and use her on some regular race!

Bravo for your commitment Rainbow!
Every day is a Sol day with you:)

--- Last Edited by Calamity at 2010-09-25 12:32:46 ---
Is there any chance of becoming an 'official' sidebar to the real Barcelona World?

If so, replace the other one!

I see way too much server load looming!

Naming of the Slave Race' is too explosive to use. That is a very political subject over here, and I could see that blowing up in our face, with major news media bashing SOL.

Instead, for a Clipper Ship race. How about a 'Goldfield's Run', circa 1849.

This can be NY around the Horn to SFO, or...two races. NY-Panama, then Panama to Frisco?
newsartist:
Is there any chance of becoming an 'official' sidebar to the real Barcelona World?

Clipper Ship race. How about a 'Goldfield's Run', circa 1849.
This can be NY around the Horn to SFO, or...two races. NY-Panama, then Panama to Frisco?

Clipper race: GREAT idea News!

Barcelona: We have a soler/RL sailor amongst us from near Barcelona, we should ask him! (= Xavier Blanquer)

--- Last Edited by Calamity at 2010-09-25 12:54:21 ---

--- Last Edited by Calamity at 2010-09-25 13:53:59 ---
Just about to nap guys but here's a quick reply:

1. Your concerns re the name of one of the Clipper races is noted.

2. A Gold Run in two parts is already in the SOL archive - I would need to see if it was run or just programmed. Not sure of boat-type either.

3. I love the idea of the Barcelona (see StuArt's thread on that). Brainaid Racing is assisting one of the participants, so brain will be able to provide us with insights on that too.

Ciao for now.

--- Last Edited by RainbowChaser at 2010-09-25 13:16:17 ---
Trade Route sounds like a good one. The name is unimportant. P.Correctness should not eliminate a good race.

Also The Barcelona and Maui to North Pacific would be interestin.
Thank you for input - look forward to more!!

The key question for calendar creation purposes is .... shall we do the single-handed round the world race (which will have IRL tracking, TV coverage etc) and prior to its start on New Years Eve run separate (non-series) ocean races and just leave the Earths Oceans series (which occupies a huge chunk of time) to one side for now?
I took up virtual sailing as I became interested in the possibility of contact between Europe and N America pre Columbus etc. So I am primarily interested in traditional ie downwind downcurrent routes...more for evaluating the weather, than the racing.Naturally I would prefer to see the clipper used more often and I wait expectantly for that viking Longship or a mediaeval Portuguese Caravelle or a Phoenician Trader on a run from Carthage to the Cornish tin mines. It would be interesting to see what the current fleet leaders make of those ancient craft and the times of the voyages and possibly assess the survivability. Yes I like the performance of the Vo70's etc, but from the viewpoint of maritime history they are gentlemen's aero/hydrodynamic toys. They don't carry anything.
While I'm at it....I wasn't too comfortable with the "Slave Run." The reason is that it perpetuates white guilt on this matter which is totally unfounded. Whites were enslaved as much as Blacks....as a couple of hours on the internet will reveal.
I'm a freshly caught Black in Africa. I hope my captor(a fellow Black), will sell me to the whites(15% mortality rate,manacled to the deck, across the ocean)rather than the Arabs(70% mortality rate, walking across the Sahara, then 80%(of the 30%survivors) mortality rate,by bleeding to death, following castration.)Lots of Blacks in the Americas. Hardly any in the Middle East, Arabia and India.
I wish I could say it had finished. Enjoy your chocolate,probably picked by teenage slaves on the Cote d'Ivoire.
What about a Tea Clipper race from Whampoa in China to the Port of London--including all the down and up river stuff. The real Clippers were never used in the slave trade, but the tea Clippers were some of the most romantic and historic of all ocean transport.Round the Horn, a Life Before the Mast, Red Jacket, Cutty Sark, Sea Witch, Flying Cloud.It might be difficult to get a number of different polars, but what about "Pick your ship" out of several, you get the polars you chose! Now run with it.
It would be a welcome change from the same small group winning every time.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
Rod: I've allready set up a Tea race based upon a real event in 1862 i think. I left out the River sections though, because in the mid 18th Century Steamers were allready common, so a real Clipper hardly ever sailed up to London.

Regarding the Gold Rush: There was a famous journey of a Clipper from the Eastcoast round Cape Horn to San Francisco around 1850, which set a record, that lasted nearly 150 Jears until it was beaten some jears ago by a Trimaran i think. So that would be a great opportunity to check if we can do better with nowadays help of weatherforcasts and routing software.
Unfortunate, that Journey took about 100 Days, so the same Probblem as with the Tea race... a locked 'race slot' for a realy long time.

Regarding the Slave Issue: Slavery is a dark Chapter in the History of mankind in general. Nearly every Nation in history used slaves, if they had the opportunity get some. But of course i would never name a race after that.
Just call it the Trade triangle. I had something like this in Mind already, but didn't had the time to set it up. And i would suggest the 110' squarerigger instead of the clipper, as they fit into that time, clippers never did that tour.

In General: The number of Weather updates is'nt the point regarding serverload and not very important regarding Bandwith. Althoug i'm realy into servers i'm pretty sure that the issue in respect of serverload is the number of cycles computing boats positions and the number of position updates to the clients in respect of bandwith. Both could be reduced considerably for ocean races, specialy these very long ones. But as far as i know, that isn't possible in SOL up to now. I don't know if the SOL-Gods have thought about that, but i can imagine that it might need major changes to the code and intensive testing, so nothing to be done in a hurry.

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
April 24 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client