Facebook

Login

Support Sailonline

If you haven't already - join the SAILONLINE YACHT CLUB!

Please also consider making a donation - all amounts are greatly appreciated!

Board » Flag Officers » Rules and Decisions » “Clause 4” and ISAF rule #69.

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

gone

--- Last Edited by sol at 2017-12-22 16:09:55 ---
That is indeed (part of) one of the considered solutions.
SAILONLINE RACING RULES 2017 – Further to the exchanges above, where Huib/kroppyer has explained the logic behind the wording of the new rule, SRC would like to add the following that has been advised to and cleared with OPS.

SOLers’ attention is drawn to the updated Sailonline Racing Rules (SRR) that are linked on the SOL Home Page. Whilst a number of anomalies from 2015 were corrected, a new Clause 4 was inserted addressing the perceived use or potential use of BOTS (automated software that acts independent of its owner) under which SOL skippers set up software to have their boat’s heading automatically adjusted over a period of time in the complete absence of, or further personal input by, the boat’s skipper. Clause 4 has been drafted to make such a practice contrary to SRR and to make the boat’s skipper liable to a protest from SRC or another boat in that race. As with all rules they are best if known and followed by all so that they do not have to be enforced. SOLers can rest assured that any protest on this matter, if sustained, may attract serious repercussions for the boat’s skipper.

For the avoidance of any doubt, this rule does not prevent the operation of ‘Routers’ such as qtVlm and BWR etc. where a skipper inputs a destination, routing parameters (speed/accuracy/calculation frequency/shore clearance etc.) and then promptly inputs the outcome to his boat as delayed commands (DCs). Such a practice was and remains acceptable. Some changes have been required to Spinnacer to exclude its ‘auto-pilot’ function and a notice to that effect has been posted in the application since 1st January whilst the software is amended.
SRC

--- Last Edited by Go4iT at 2017-01-13 15:35:09 ---
What, dear SRC, is wrong with a more or less intelligent steering-bot.

Is it that despicable if I would program my autopilot with

while twa>42 steer cc ### else steer twa 42

Or something like
if time later than 13:40 go online
while not on lattitude ### stay online
else steer 270 cc
go off line

I would use only data from my own instruments and react only on the changing conditions local to my boat.

If (you do not want any skipper can use data from another boat) then (make data only available to a logged-in-boat from that very same boat only)

Lacsareno from <guest> on her way to Rio.
but eventually, it is the way to go.
--

Hi there... i read '' this is the way to go"
I joined SOL in 2012, and back then the car race had about 700 players. As in Today, the big ocean races have about 250 active players.
If i look at the current ranking, only 150 members where active this year.

About the whole BWR and QT usage. I think i helped more than 50 SOLers with their routing setup. Since, you need to have some basic knowledge about TCP/IP and stuff, windows basics, java versions, blablabla.
Some even use fancy stuff like expedition, MAXsea, Adrena, Turbowin, dKart navigator, Navi Sailor etc. All allowed.
Now, If one does not understand that part, they also have a disadvantage.

Also, i do read frequently that people prefer their sleep, family life, do not want to spend 18 hours behind the pc, wake up at 03:00 o clock to check your PC.

My point here is that according to me, this is not the way to go at all unless you want to end up with 50 or less players.
Instead of holding on whats been proven successful at the start, but slowly losing it's key element, the players, i think it might be useful to start thinking different.

When i joined Sol, Sol had it's own router you could download, but was very wonky and slowly died.
So, i think you should , as SOL, supply 1 router. So all users have the same router.
Simple example would be :QT has 2 modes..a real boat, and a game boat for the VLM game. How about a game mode for SOL for example?
It can also be some other software, whatever works.

And then you can discuss what type of ''automation'' users want, and might increase the amount of players, and make the game more fun to play?

my 2 cents, best, DIKKE.

--- Last Edited by dikkehenk at 2017-01-22 09:46:02 ---

--- Last Edited by dikkehenk at 2017-01-22 09:46:41 ---
oh, and by the way... about changing SOL.... flash is hard on it's way out.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2465543/mozilla-firefox-is-latest-browser-to-kill-off-adobe-flash-support

so, my suggestion is still to tackle all this before it is to late.
Viva Robberto and all,

Good afternoon.

The issue here, and to my mind, isn’t the routing software SOLers can use and/or de facto use.
Each one of us is more accustomed by a lot of good reasons to a particular piece of software for routing.

I strongly think that a SOL sim “glued” to a particular routing software isn’t a brilliant idea at all. By the contrary.

Robberto, the issue here was/is the public disclosure of boats live data, as we had via the hmm’s SOL blog connection/s, to which I strongly hope it keeps shut down till the privacy issues, namely, are cleared out.

The recent SRR alterations, if I did understand it well, went further up (in the right direction) by forbidding the total “robot” sail boat, with or without using boats live data.

The only remaining practical problem is how do you control it, or even, if it is possible to do it in due time, before a total “server solution” is implemented?

From the recent races in the hmm’s shutdown period, what I clearly saw was:

1 - Great fleet dispersions;
2 - More uncertainty in the races outcomes;
3 - Different podiums compositions;
4 - More competition on the water;
5 - Some (good) appeal for SOlers to learn routing and start doing their own races,
6 - and not just the easy way of “Copy/Pasting” the others paths.

Your person can even confirm actual points “5” and “6”.
Yes, more people is routing and racing for themselves.

That’s the way and, the good one, IMHO.

João/psail
Sail Fair.
Viva Robberto and all,

Good afternoon.

The issue here, and to my mind, isn’t the routing software SOLers can use and/or de facto use.
Each one of us is more accustomed by a lot of good reasons to a particular piece of software for routing.

I strongly think that a SOL sim “glued” to a particular routing software isn’t a brilliant idea at all. By the contrary.

--

I disagree. The SOL sim is designed that all boats are equal.
So, the fact that you can use all sorts of different routers to calculate your course makes it more a who-understand-and is using-the-best-router sport. Not to mention those that don't have a clue about routing and such, have a disadvantage.

I would not call that fair at all. Therefore my suggestion to make that also equal for all.

Also, the fact that SOL is losing active players is something rather relevant. Ignoring that part in this whole discussion will not solve that part.

Your argument about the AIS data is also valid, but on the other hand, if you disable AIS ( since it is not that difficult for those who know to extract the AIS data and make your own hmm's datasheet) you also leave some connection to reality.

My point is, why not make it even more real, so this whole one-man-band-sailing is doable, fun to play, and keeps your social life at a normal level.
That might attract new players.

Best, Dikke.
One point that hasn't been mentioned in these discussions is that SOL seems to be slipping into a set of "Championships" for all possible kinds of races. Only a dozen or so SOLers have any chance of winning by using a lot of computer skills not available to the rest of us. I notice two consequences of this:- The "Winners" get bored and drop out---and the "Losers" get dissatisfied with losing all the time, and also drop out.
If it breaks, it's not strong enough--if it doesn't, it's too heavy.
gone

--- Last Edited by sol at 2017-12-22 16:10:55 ---

Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Please login to post a reply.

Races

Next Race: 00d 00h 00m

Current Races:

Manilla to Calbayog 2024

After six years, we welcome you to the race created by sassy63 for the second time. He takes us to the Philippines to race around islands on a 380 nm course. We sail the Italia 14.98 and in Calbayog we'll enjoy our well-deserved Palatan dish and drink it with San Miguel.
Race #1803
INFO from brainaid.de
Italia 14.98 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230
Ranking:
ARQ2 - ARCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 22nd 17:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Jakob's Birthday BBQ Race 2024

Sailonline had two founders and Jakob, the more senior of the two, has his birthday in April which we always like to celebrate with a race through the Stockholm Archipelago from Revengegrundet Lighthouse to his mooring at Baggensfjärden. Traditionally also, like other celebrations this time of year, this feast has been “moveable”, so on this occasion we will be racing on a Wednesday in one of our latest high-performance 40-footers, the Carkeek 40. Please join us then for this always tricky 30nm race. Grattis på födelsedagen Jakob!
Race #1794
INFO by brainaid.de
Carkeek 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
RACE CLOSE: Wednesday,
April 24 at 2300 UTC.
Race starts: Apr 20th 14:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Melbourne to Osaka Prelude 2024

Welcome once again to what these days is Sailonline’s almost annual virtual Melbourne to Osaka Yacht Race. In real life, this double-handed 5500 nm race between these two sister cities, one deep in the southern hemisphere, the other high in the northern hemisphere, is run every four to five years, and is planned to be held again in 2025, so this race is a Prelude in partnership with the Melbourne Osaka Cup 2025 organising committee collaborating with the Ocean Racing Club of Victoria (ORCV), and the Sandringham (SYC) and Osaka Hokko (OHYC) yacht clubs. On this occasion, we’ll be racing the well-known First 40, a popular size of boat for a long-distance double-handed race. With the doldrums unavoidably lying across the track, you can expect to be at virtual sea for at least a month!
Race #1669
INFO by brainaid.de
First 40 Particulars
WX Updates:
Ranking: SYC
Race starts: Apr 20th 00:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

St Nazaire Chasse TIMED Race 2024

Welcome to a "chasse" (hunt) from St. Nazaire to La Baule on the west coast of France! This race was designed by SOLer FR_flouflou in 2010. The KER 40 was introduced to SOL in 2016 by SOLer psail, and the Sol-KER was a welcome addition to SOL’s fleet of 40- footers, as it was to the IRL Ker fleet of eponymous - like KERonimo, KukuKERchu and Ice BreaKER. This is a TIMEDrace, so you may RE-REGISTER HERE to try again, after finishing a run. You will have 13 days and 11 hours to show your skill and decision making after the race opens.
Race #1797
INFOby brainaid.de
Ker 40 PARTICULARS
WX Updates:
Ranking:
TRQ2 - TRCH - SUPSOL - SYC
RACE CLOSE: Saturday,
27 April at 23:00 UTC
Race starts: Apr 14th 12:00 Registration Open!
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Cape Town to Auckland 2024

Welcome to the second leg of this Round The World series 2024. It's also the April edition of this year's ocean race championship. The course is the same as the one sailed in 2023, but this year we sail the iconic Swan 65, as suggested in the concluding RTW race last year.
Prepare yourselves for an epic 30-day journey, navigating through the unpredictable waters of the South Seas. It's essential to take care of provisioning to ensure a smooth and enjoyable race experience. With the longer duration, we anticipate plenty of opportunities for camaraderie, competition, and unforgettable memories.
PRIZE: SMPF
Race# 1789
INFO from brainaid.de
Swan 65 PARTICULARS
WX updates:
Ranking: OCQ2 - RTW - OCCH - SUPSOL - SYC
Race starts: Apr 01st 11:00 Registration Closed
▶ Flash
GO TO RACE

Go to race archive

SYC Ranking

1. Sailonline Yacht Club Member WRmirekd
  2. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Pit8008
  3. Sailonline Yacht Club Member FreyjaUSA
  4. Sailonline Yacht Club Member rafa
  5. Sailonline Yacht Club Member sassy63
  6. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Sax747
  7. Sailonline Yacht Club Member bonknhoot
  8. Sailonline Yacht Club Member Vida_Maldita
  9. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CollegeFund
  10. Sailonline Yacht Club Member CriticalHippo

View full list

Series

Mobile Client

SYC members have the benefit of access to our mobile/lightweight web client!

The mobile client